Donate books by calling (559) 683-4838 for directions first.
We accept book donations these days and hours only:
Tuesday–Thursday: 10:00 A.M.–5:00 P.M.
Fridays: 10:00 A.M.–2:00 P.M.
Books we WON'T accept include:
• Any textbooks (including science, medical, legal),
• Time Life collections,
• National Geographics,
• Old small paperback books,
• Tattered or moldy books,
• No books that have been enjoyed by mice or rodents.
Thank you for your donations
More complete text of
The Madera County Library (MCL) Guidelines for Book Donations:
The MCL welcomes gifts of books and other materials with the understanding that such gifts must meet the same standards required of purchased materials as set forth in the Library’s Collection Development Policy.
Materials that do meet the standards of the policy will be integrated into the overall library collection available to library customers and handled as any other material belonging to the Library. Materials that do not meet the standards will generally not be accepted. If an exception is made, the materials may be given to other institutions, sold in book sales, or disposed of in accordance with Library policy. All donations become the exclusive property of the MCL.
Here are a few guidelines:
All material must be in like-new or at most gently-used condition.
The library cannot add items in poor condition to the collection.
The following list describes examples of poor condition:
• Materials with torn pages, excessively worn covers
• Materials with yellowed, brittle pages or damaged bindings
• Dirty, dusty items
• Stained, water damaged, mildewed items
• Materials with excessive notes or highlighting
• Scratched or worn media
• Non-fiction, informational books should be no more than 3-5 years old to avoid providing outdated or inaccurate information to patrons; some topics, like technology or medical information must be newer than 3 years old.
• Magazines, record albums, 8-tracks, cassettes, VHS tapes, and encyclopedias are not accepted.
Upon request MCL will provide a receipt for your gift, but the Library will not assess the value of a donation for tax purposes.